The Nutrient Film Technique, which refer to as NFT, is a popular commercial hydroponic system.
In NFT plants are grown in channels that have a nutrient solution pumping through them and constantly running along the bottom of the channel. When the solution reaches the end of the channel, it drops back into a main reservoir and is sent back to the beginning of the system again. This makes it a recirculating system, just like deep water culture.
Unlike deep water culture, your plants roots are not completely submerged in a NFT system — hence the “film” part of the system’s name.
Plants are placed in these channels using net pots and growing medium and can be replaced or harvested on a one-by-one basis.
- Unbelievable growth.
- One of the most productive system.
- Bigger yield.
- Reduce labor time.
- Most cost effective growing system.
- Utilization of vertical space.
Benefits of Nutrient Film Technique :-
- Minimal growing medium needed.
- Recirculating system means less waste.
Downsides of Nutrient Film Technique :-
- Pump failure of any kind can completely ruin your crop
- Roots can become overgrown and clog the channels
Special note :- In NFT system a NFT length should not more then 20 feet for continuous system as oxygen levels goes down ,that’s effect plants growth in system.